Family Law Appeals
At Church Watson we have been prosecuting and defending Family Court Appeals for over 17 years and have built a system for handling them with efficiency, making the process as stress-free for you as possible.
Family Law Appeals in Huntersville, Cornelius and Mooresville, NC
After enduring the litigation process and sitting through an emotionally difficult and likely very expensive trial, it’s possible that the Judge in your case issued a ruling that you didn’t expect and in some cases is just flat out wrong. When that happens, you are left asking “What now?” or “Can I fix it?”
We wish the answer was simple. Cases involving child custody, child support, alimony and equitable distribution can be appealed to the North Carolina Court of Appeals. While there can be multiple grounds for an appeal, they generally fall into two categories: 1). the evidence presented at trial does not support the Judge’s findings or conclusions and 2). the Judge committed an error at law in reaching their final decision. When these mistakes have occurred, you can ask the Court of Appeals for a range of remedies from simply fixing a small factual mistake (like calculation of an amount owed) or for a ‘do-over’ where the entire case is re-tried.
The process of a family law appeal in the greater Charlotte area is long and full of potential pitfalls, so not all lawyers will take on such a responsibility. At Church Watson we have been prosecuting and defending Family Court Appeals for over 17 years and have built a system for handling them with efficiency, making the process as stress-free for you as possible. Our appellate work is handled on a fixed-fee basis and is determined based on several factors including whether you’re filing or defending the appeal and the number of days originally spent in trial. These fees typically range from $7,500 to $15,000. Because there are critical deadlines for appealing an order that can not be missed or extended, it’s important that you reach out to us immediately to schedule a consultation if you believe your order was entered in error.
Speak with one of our experienced attorneys for help with a family law appeal in Huntersville, Cornelius or Mooresville, NC
Our Representative Cases
- Burger v. Burger, 790 S.E. 2d 683, 2016 N.C. App. LEXIS 872 (2016) Read This Case
- Cox v. Cox, 238 N.C. App. 251, 768 S.E. 2d 308 (2014) Read This Case
- Eason v. Taylor, 245 N.C. App. 16, 784 S.E. 2d 200 (2016) Read This Case
- France v. France, 209 N.C. App. 406, 705 S.E. 2d 399 (2011) Read This Case
- Hibshman v. Hibshman, 212 N.C. App. 113, 710 S.E. 2d 438 (2011) Read This Case
- Maxwell v. Maxwell, 212 N.C. App. 614, 713 S.E. 2d 489 (2011) Read This Case
- Parson v. Parsons, 231 N.C. App. 397, 752 S.E. 2d 530 (2013) Read This Case
- Reynolds v. Reynolds, 356 N.C. 287, 569 S.E. 2d 645 (2002) Read This Case
- Wirth v. Wirth, 193 N.C. App. 57, 668 S.E. 2d 603 (2008) Read This Case